Saturday, January 1, 2011

Bringing in the New Year with a New Furbaby

You may not know this, but I have wanted an Australian Shepherd for some time now.  However, I was perfectly content with Jack.  I love Jack, but I had expressed to DH that I wanted another furbaby.  I wanted one to be a playmate for Jack and, just as I cannot have only one child, I could not just have one furbaby.

So that brings us to today.  Or rather, a few days ago.  My mom, Kyle (her husband), and I went to Petsmart to buy dog food.  We saw this man with a few puppies on the grass a ways off from the store.  My mom said that it looked like he was selling them and I disagreed saying that it was perfectly normal for people to put their puppies on the grass to let them out. Anyway, we walked over there and the gentleman told us this heartbreaking story.

Apparently his Aunt was an Australian Shepherd breeder and her female was shot while herding cattle by a  drunk man when the puppies were only a week old.  Now, this may sound like a ridiculous story, but my mom lives way out in the country.  This story is by no means ridiculous for this area.  Anyway, they had to hand feed them from 1 week on.  The aunt is in her 70s and reasonably heartbroken over her loss so she has discontinued breeding and is simply trying to give her puppies away.  Australian Shepherd puppies (with AKC registration) typically are $1,000+ and she was selling them for $200.

I have had many opportunities to get a puppy, but have easily dismissed them because I wanted DH to be here when we got another furbaby.  However, these puppies would NOT leave my mind.  I asked DH what he thought about the situation and he agreed that I would probably never find this quality of puppy for this price again so I should just get one since I was planning on getting another dog anyway.  Well, not needing anymore encouragement, I contacted the breeder and met her and the puppies.  Now, I had worked myself into such a nervous frenzy that I was prepared to tell the breeder I was no longer interested.

And that brings us to today…  I went and met the puppies.  Most of them were running (if you can call it running with their cute, stubby little legs) around and whatnot.  However, there was one that was as calm and sweet as can be.  He came and sat in front of me and just looked at me, so I picked him up.  When I put him back down he cried until I pet him again.  Obviously this was the one for me.

So yea, what can I say?  My logic melted in the eyes of this precious puppy.  It was obviously meant to be.  And they were born on the last day of R&R.  This is our version of an R&R baby LOL

Don't fear, I'll post pictures soon.  I pick him up this coming Monday =)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! We are both going to have R&R babies! Wish I could pick mine up on Monday, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Steph LMAO pick up your R&R baby hahaha. Oh boy that made a pretty funny image.

    ReplyDelete